Rooftop Prince (Hangul: 옥탑방 왕세자; Ok-tab-bang Wang-se-ja) is a SBS television series about Crown Prince Yi Gak of Joseonwhose wife, the Crown Princess, drowns. Suspecting his wife has been murdered, Crown Prince Yi Gak hires three men outside the court to act as his private task force and find the culprit. Mysteriously, they travel 300 years into the future and land in modern-day Seoul in the rooftop apartment belonging to Park-ha, who has returned to Seoul in search of her biological parents. To his surprise, he runs across a woman that looks exactly like his late wife. However, it's not only the princess who has a modern-day doppelganger, but everyone including the prince himself. Although with difficulty, the men, with the help of Park-ha, try to fit into modern times while trying to reconnect with the past.
Starring Micky Yoochun of JYJ, Han Ji-min, Jung Yoo-mi and Lee Tae-sung; the series is currently broadcasting on SBS from March 14, 2012 on Wednesday and Thursday at 21:55 (KST).
Tae-mu (Lee Tae-sung) returns to Korea alone, claiming that his cousin and future heir of the company, Tae-yong (Micky Yoochun), had gone missing in New York. Tae-mu has been having a secret affair with Se-na (Jung Yoo-mi), who in turn runs into her long-lost stepsisterPark-ha (Han Ji-min) for the first time in 20 years at her stepfather's funeral.
Two years after Tae-yong's disappearance, four men dressed in Joseon era garments, fall onto Park-ha's rooftop house. Homeless and having nowhere to go, the four men decide to stick with Park-ha. Their leader claims that he is the Crown Prince of Joseon (Micky Yoochun), along with his entourage Song Man-bo (Lee Min-ho), Woo Yong-sool (Jung Suk-won), and Do Chi-san (Choi Woo-shik). One day, Crown Prince Yi Gak sees Se-na who is the spitting image of his beloved wife, who was found drowned in the 18th century. He is convinced the two are, in fact, the same person. Meanwhile, company president Yeo (Ban Hyo-jung) thinks that Yi Gak, who looks exactly like her grandson, has finally returned. Yi Gak realizes that he has time traveled 300 years to 2012, Seoul, to search for the truth behind the mysterious death of the late Crown Princess. In order to approach Se-na, who is also President Yeo's personal assistant, Yi Gak pretends that he is Tae-yong. Tae-mu, who believes that his cousin had died in New York, feels threatened when he hears the news that Tae-yong has started working at the company.
On the other hand, Park-ha is shocked, and somewhat saddened by the news that her new friend who calls himself the Crown Prince is, in fact, the grandson of CEO. But before long, she gets into another tiff with Tae-yong who continues to linger around Park-ha in order to get closer to Se-na.
Cast of Rooftop Prince
in the press conference. From left to right: Jung Suk-won, Micky Yoochun, Han Ji-min, Jung Yoo-mi, Lee Tae-sung and Lee Min-ho.
- He is an Adonis with his uncommonly handsome looks. As sharp and as wise as a tiger yet cautious as a bull, he harbors a deep loneliness. One day, the Crown Prince finds himself time travelling 300 years to 21st century Seoul and he lands himself in a whole lot of trouble.
- Park ha is a champion of hardships. She has been through all kinds of trials and ordeals, not just in her native Korea, but in the U.S. as well. However, it's in her blood to be strong and optimistic.
- Jung Yoo-mi as Hong Se-na / Hwa-yong
- A girl of matchless beauty, Se-na has the looks to charm any man, but she is manipulative and scheming like none other. She is Park-ha's step sister. Pretty as a doll and delightful on the outside but her greed always pushes her to strive for bigger and better things in life
- He would grind an axe into a needle if he had to. He works harder than anyone to achieve success. And, he resorts to whatever means he can to accomplish a set goal.
- Lee Min-ho as Song Man-bo
- Jung Suk-won as Woo Yong-sool
- Choi Woo-shik as Do Chi-san
- Ban Hyo-jung as President Yeo
- Lee Moon-shik as Pyo Taek-soo
- Ahn Seok-hwan as Yong Dong-man
- Song Ok-sook as Gong Man-ok
- Park Joon-geum as Yong Seol-hee
- Kang Byul as Lady Mimi
- Guzal Tursunova as Becky
- Na Young-hee as President Jang
Cartoon depiction of the Crown Prince and his men with empty stomachs during their first night in modern day Seoul. Cropped screen capture from the series.
Prior to the script reading, main actors has a camera test in traditional costumes. The first script reading took place at SBS Ilsan Production Center on February 1, 2012.
Filming for Rooftop Prince began on February 4, 2012. On February 7, 2012, a traditional wedding scene was filmed at Gyeonghui Palace in Seoul, involving child characters of Crown Prince Yi Gak and Se-na.
- Chief Producer: Son Jun-hyun
- Producer: Kim Yong-jin
- Director: Shin Yoon-sub
- Screenwriter: Lee Hee-myung